Mission and History
The Volunteer Center of the East Bay enhances the communities we serve by expanding volunteerism to meet the needs of local nonprofit organizations and public agencies.
To fulfill our mission, we:
- reach out to all of our local communities to promote volunteerism,
- connect volunteers with opportunities to serve in nonprofit organizations,
- educate nonprofit agencies in the best practices of volunteer recruitment and management, and
- collaborate with organizations to address diverse community needs.
The Volunteer Center began as a project of the Junior League of Oakland-East Bay in 1955 and became a federally recognized 501c3 nonprofit organization in 1956. Originally called the Volunteer Bureau, it served only Contra Costa County.
The Center’s geographic coverage of Contra Costa County was expanded to include Alameda County in 2004. Thus, we changed our name to the Volunteer Center of the East Bay. In 2010, our Center launched a new Volunteer Center in Solano County, as a program of the Volunteer Center of the East Bay: www.VolunteerSolano.org.
Throughout our history our core purpose has remained the same: to encourage and support local volunteerism to benefit volunteers, nonprofit and public organizations, and society as a whole. We are proud to continue this extraordinary legacy.